Thursday 27 August 2015

Letter to Isaac (Gen 22)


Dear Isaac,

Ok I want to focus on one specific incident in this letter, that time you went up the mountain with your dad and were put on the alter before another offering came along.

Reading through the story I wonder what sort of God tests somebody in that way. Sometimes I have to come to the conclusion that God is a bit sick – I mean if somebody tried the same thing today they would be done for emotional harm to their child.

What did the servants who went with you think of it all? Did they have any idea of what was going on? I don’t imagine your dad, Abraham was exactly happy on the journey.  What must it have been like for him as he cut the wood he thought he might be required to sacrifice you on.

As you left the servants behind and went off alone with your dad what did you think? I mean you were obviously of a reasonable age because you were able to carry the wood for your dad.  Did you have any idea what was going on? Was that why you asked the question?

I can’t imagine what it must have been like. Did you have an idea and choose to go along with offering yourself as a sacrifice? I mean, as I once heard a preacher on this passage explain, you were a fit young man and your dad was old. You would have been able to overpower him if you had wished.

I can’t get my head around it as your dad raised the knife.

Was there an audible voice? What was it like?

I just can’t get my head around the fact God tests you in this way and then blesses you and your dad for doing it. It’s a bit like having to go through some really scary thing to win the competition. But God had already promised Abraham blessing so I don’t get why this was necessary.

I know I am meant to say this illustrates how God tests us and how he will provide if we are faithful, but to me I have to say what on earth was God playing at?

1 comment:

  1. Well! that's refreshing. I have to say that I tend to agree with you, and I'm looking forward to reading what you write about another Old Testament incident that has haunted me for years ( that is, if you choose to - I won't say which one it is ).

    Maggi Dawn, in a Lent book which she did for BRF, confused me somewhat by suggesting that sacrificing Isaac wasn't God's idea, that Abraham somehow got it into his head that it was what God wanted him to do. But, considering the weight put upon the idea that Abraham's obedience was what proves to us that he had faith, later in the Bible, I don't see that we can take that route without breaking something else.

    What if Abraham had said to God - I'm not going to do this ( remembering that Jephthah went ahead with a similar sacrifice, and wasn't given a get out clause ) ...

    ReplyDelete