Wednesday 9 September 2015

Letter to Esau (Gen 27)


Dear Esau,

I wonder what it was like for you? You knew you had swapped your birthright for food and your mother doted on your brother.

It seems that when you married Judith that was the last straw for your parents. What was it that you did which annoyed them so much? Was it that Judith bought them up in a Hittite way rather than following your ways?

Did you get on with Jacob or was he always plotting with your mum against you? I have these questions.

I can’t imagine what it was like when you and Isaac discovered that you had both been tricked by Rebekah and Jacob.

I can see that you were very angry and wanted revenge.

You may have noted this is a really short note not like my other letters. The reason for this is I can’t really connect with you. I don’t know if that is to do with how your story is written or what, but I can’t.

1 comment:

  1. yes, but - on the occasion of the meal for a birthright - Jacob was being thoroughly nasty - going against everything we've been taught about hospitality - yet, we blame Esau ...

    ReplyDelete