Saturday 13 February 2016

Lament for the Modern World?


We're a bit naff at lament in this country sometimes. Perhaps that's why when I first listened to Lucinda Williams The Ghosts of Highway I was a bit taken aback thinking how miserable is this.
We listened to disc two of this double CD first and to say it made the Smiths seem happy is a bit of an understatement. However whilst not a happy album it is a moving set of songs several of them including Louisiana Story, Death Cake and Factory could be regarded as genuine songs of lament. If you like we could describe them as modern day Psalms which speak the truth of pain.

My own favourites on the album were Factory which has a real intensity to it and Doors of Heaven where the gloom lifts in the music at least (although the words are still deep and Psalm like).

If you want to read more of a review of the album feel free to flip over to my other blog where I have reviewed it more fully than here. I just wanted to flag it up on this site though as the lyrics do speak of death and faith, including the misuse of faith in a way which I think is quite deep and as I say almost Psalm like. This could be useful listening to some who want something that reflects how they are feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment